Professor of Modern Architecture
Ph.D., History, Theory, and Criticism of Architecture Program, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2017
Master of Architecture, North Carolina State University, 1981; A.I.A. Student Medal and Teaching Award; School of Design Advisory Committee 2005, 2006
Bachelor of Arts, Major in Architecture, Washington University in St. Louis, 1979; 1999 Distinguished Alumna Award
- Adjunct Assistant Professor (History of Modern Architecture & Design), 2012 – Present
• New York City College of Technology, Architecture Department, Adjunct Assistant Professor
• Associate Professor (Design Studios, History Courses, Thesis), New York Institute of Technology, School of Architecture, 1999 – 2002
• Visiting Lecturer (History of 19th & 20th C. Architecture), City College of New York, School of Architecture and Environmental Studies, 1997
• Lecturer, (Architectural History Course on 20th Century Architecture & Urbanism and Graduate Seminar: Italy 1922-42), Harvard University, Department of Fine Arts, 1990 – 1991
• Visiting Lecturer/Coordinator (Italian Architecture between the Wars), Architectural Association, School of Architecture, London, 1988
• Head Teaching Assistant in History and Theory of Architecture, Harvard University, Department of Fine Arts, 1986 – 1987
• Teaching Assistant in History, Theory and Criticism of Architecture, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1988
• Assistant Professor of Architecture, Coordinator of Second Year Studios, Graduate Studios, Georgia Institute of Technology, 1984 – 1985
• Teaching Assistant (Teaching Award), North Carolina State University, 1980-1981
- Bentel & Bentel Architects, Locust Valley, NY, 1986 – Present; Partner
- Isozaki Studio, Japan, 1985
- Don Hisaka & Associates, Cambridge, MA, 1984
- The Architects Collaborative, Cambridge, MA, 1981 – 1983
- Modern Architecture
At New York City College of Technology:
- History of 20th Century Architecture
At New York Institute of Technology, School of Architecture:
- Design Studios
- History Courses
- Annie Block, “A Sea Change: Paul & Carol Bentel reinvent New York’s Le Bernardin for Eric Ripert,” Interior Design, Jan. 2012, 41-44.
- Emily Hooper, “Bentel & Bentel Architects/Planners,” Contract Design, Jan.-Feb. 2013, 74-77.
- Joe McKendry, One Times Square, Godine Publisher, New Hampshire, 2012.
- Fred Bernstein, “Makeover at Grand Hyatt Sheds the Trump Glitter,” The New York Times, 1.11.11.
- “Women of Influence,” Hospitality Design, July 2010.
- Suzanne LaBarre, “Unsung Heroes,” Metropolis (April 2009): 80-88, 101.
- Donlyn Lyndon, “Danish Modern, Then and Now,” Places/Metropolis Magazine, Vol. 20, No. 3, 2008: 81-8.
- Keynote lecture at American Hardwood Export Council, 17th Southeast Asia & Greater China Convention, Singapore, June, 2012.
- “Defining New Design Realities,” Society for Hospitality & Food Service Management,” 2012 National Convention, Las Vegas, June 4-7, 2012.
- “The 3D’s,” Centerbrook Architect’s Lecture Series, Essex, CT, April, 2012.
- AIA Keynote Panel, NY State Convention, Buffalo, Oct. 2010.
- Rooftop Urban Agriculture Seminar, Brooklyn, 3.11.14
- AIA Committee on Design Conference, NYC, May 15-18, 2014
- Revit Computer Course, Parsons, 2013
- AutoCad & Photoshop Course, Parsons, 2012
- Elected to College of Fellows, American Institute of Architects, 2003
- American Institute of Architects, National AIA Committee on Design (10,000 members); National Chair, 2008; National Advisory Group, 2002-7; Crafted conferences for the Committee with a focus on 20th Century Architecture: Rome (2001): Modern Currents along the Tiber, Denmark (2008): Danish Modern- Then & Now (parallels with product design), Detroit (2008): Design Parallels (automotive industry)
- Architectural Registration: Massachusetts, New York, 1986
- LEED Accredited Professional Certificate, Green Building Certification Institute, 2009
- GSA National Peer Reviewer, current; NYSCA Panelist, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013; NY State Preservation League Trustee, 2014
- Architecture School Advisory Positions: NYIT (acting Chair), 2008 to present; North Carolina State University, 2005, 2006; Washington University Distinguished Alumni Jury, 2002, 2003, 2011; NAAB observer for NYIT, 2005
- AIA Juries: Gold Medal, Firm Award, National Jury Selection Advisory Task Group, Michigan Jury Chair, NJ AIA, Chicago AIA, Chair of Honorary Fellow and Collaborative Achievement (Art) Nominations; AIA Small Project Practitioner’s Founding jury member, Modern Healthcare Awards Jury, AIA Northwest & Pacific Region Awards Jury; Greenwich Arts Council Jury; UIA, Gold Medal & Jean Tschumi Prize Task Force, 2011; American Architecture Foundation, Northeast Jury Chair, 2008; Fulbright Jury, 1996; Gold Key Awards Juror, Interior Design Magazine, 2006; Can-struction Juror, 2007; Centria, 2004; AIA Honor Awards for Architecture, Chair of Honor Awards Presentation, AIA Convention, 2010
- Invited Design Critic for final juries at M.I.T., RISD, ETH Summer Program, Columbia University, NYIT, Harvard University, Boston Architectural Center, Kent State University, Washington University, U of Arkansas, U of Maryland, Parsons, CUNY