Senior Spotlight – Christopher Bal ’20

Hometown: Massapequa, NY

Thesis Title: A Technical Description and Comparison of Renaissance Period Venetian Ship Construction to Liberty Ship Construction

Post Graduate Plans: Work as a Naval Architect.

Do you have any advice for incoming students?
My biggest advice for incoming students would be to remember to have some fun while at Webb. Webb’s workload can seem overwhelming and stressful at times but it is important to take the time to enjoy time with your class. Your class is your family and you’ll regret not spending time with them.

What activities were you involved with at Webb?
While at Webb I was part of the keel boat sailing team and played on the Webb volleyball team. In addition, I took the time to participate in Webb’s Student Organization (SO) when I was treasurer and Marine Technology Society (MTS) chair.

Favorite Quote.
You can’t get so hung up on where you’d rather be, that you forget to make the most of where you are

What’s your favorite spot on campus and why?
My favorite spot on campus would be the yacht club. Some of my best memories were spent at the yacht club during yacht club socials or just relaxing with friends.

What will you miss the most about Webb?
More than anything else I will miss my class. We have grown so close as a family and it will be hard to not see them every day. COVID-19 made this extremely evident as we were rapidly separated without getting the chance to spend our last semester together.