Senior Spotlight – Michael DeNapoli

Hometown: Bay Shore, NY

Thesis Title: Hydrodynamic Performance of a Lifting Body Using Near-Field Flow Kinematics from PIV Analysis

Post Graduate Plans: Bruce S. Rosenblatt & Associates, LLC

What will you miss the most about Webb?
Without a doubt, I will miss the people the most. Webb has an incredible community, and I’m so glad I got to spend time with all these unique people. As someone remaining on campus after everyone left, I’ve definitely noticed that Webb isn’t Webb without the people.

What was your favorite Winter Work internship?
My favorite winter work internship was my most recent one in Cleveland at Great Lakes Towing. Working at a small shipyard gave me a ton of cool experiences and helped me see how my education prepared for the work needed in a practical environment. I also got to figure out how to live totally alone for the first time, which was a worthwhile experience. A close second would be my time on ship. Pasha’s M/V Marjorie C traveled a loop between Los Angeles, San Diego, and Honolulu four times while I was on it, and I thought it was an amazing experience.

What was your favorite class at Webb and why?
Marine Engineering 5 with Professor Scott was my favorite class. I thought learning about system design was really cool, even if I wasn’t perfect at it. It was always impressive how Scott could teach difficult material so well. That never made his tests easy, but he was always a fair professor. I have to give credit to a few other classes though. Both American Government and Political Philosophy with Soupios were great lecture classes to listen to. And I know a couple of my classmates deeply disagree with this, but I thought Western Cultures 2 was fun, namely because of the fact that it made a bunch of engineers take a break from calculations to make a painting. And of course, there was the classic Naval Architecture 1 project where we did lines for a vessel by hand.

What activities were you involved with at Webb?
I tried to show up to many once-a-semester volunteering events throughout my time here, including Engineering Day, Graduation, Homecoming, and the many other events put together by the Leadership Committee. And like all good Webbies, I enjoyed the great major parties put together by the Social Committee. Maybe one of my regrets about my time at Webb is that I didn’t do more. But I think I would have that regret no matter what because it more than likely just means that I really wish I had more time here to enjoy everything about Webb.

Favorite Quote.
“Yes. You can make it idiot-proof, but they always invent a better idiot” – Professor Neil Gallagher