Senior Spotlight: Mary McGuinness ’20

Hometown: Glenville, NY

Thesis Title: Concept Design of a Floating Home: Adapting to Sea Level Rise in the California Bay Area

Post Graduate Plans: Bruce S. Rosenblatt & Associates, LLC in Newport News, Virginia.

What was your favorite Winter Work internship?
My favorite Winter Work internship was my sophomore year sea term. Since I had studied abroad at the University of Southampton during the winter that year, my internship was completed in the summer – I was on the Cape Horn, a MARAD contracted ROS ro-ro container ship moored at Pier 50 in San Francisco. It was seven weeks of biking around the city, sightseeing, and delicious food (and of course completing the sea projects).

What will you miss the most about Webb?
I will miss my class the most – It’s been a unique experience to spend three and a half years with the same group of people. We’ve had a lot of fun times together and it will be sad to not be all together again (at least until reunions).

Why did you choose Webb?
I chose Webb because I was interested in pursuing engineering or architecture in college and thought it would be cool to go to school in the Batman mansion. (It turns out naval architecture is very different than regular architecture)

What activities were you involved with at Webb?
Throughout my time at Webb I have been involved with the Social Committee, Running Club, Art Club, and Leadership Committee. My favorite role has been as Social Committee co-chair during my Junior and Senior year which involved planning various on and off-campus events and parties.