Senior Spotlight: Louis (L.J.) Bock ’20

Hometown: Doylestown, PA

Thesis Title: Design of a High-Speed, Common-Rail Diesel Engine Test Platform and Support Systems

Post Graduate Plans: Marine Systems Engineer

Favorite Quote:
“Family is not necessarily blood, but instead who you’d bleed for.”

What are you passionate about?
I am passionate about learning. To me, life is boring if we do not ask questions. In today’s digital world, an infinite amount of knowledge is so easily accessible. All it takes is a bit of curiosity and becoming a life-long learner is the natural next step. Having learned so much in the past four years, I am excited to dive into an incredibly broad industry and learn as much as I can from the individuals already shaping it.

Do you have any advice for incoming students?
Never take any opportunity for granted. Learn to be grateful for the things and people in your life because there are many others who would do anything for a chance at what you have. The quicker one can ingrain this trait in their outlook on Webb and life, the more fulfilling the experience will be.

What’s your favorite spot on campus and why?
I guess my favorite spot on campus is technically not on campus. But in four years, I have not found a better spot than about a half-mile off Webb’s beach into the Sound. Straight out from Webb, I get the most beautiful view of the campus, the NYC skyline, or a Long Island Sound Sunset.