Senior Spotlight: Daniel Desio ’21

Hometown: Marietta, Georgia

Thesis Title: Airport Ferries: A Feasibility Analysis and Concept Design of a New York Airport Ferry

Post Graduate Plans: NSWC Carderock, Combatant Craft Division

What activities were you involved with at Webb?
Sports-Related: Soccer, Tennis, Basketball, Volleyball, Disc Golf, and Ultimate
Music Related: Jazz Band, Webbstock Band, and WooFS
Miscellaneous: Anchor Club and Wakeboarding

What will you miss the most about Webb?
I am going to miss all the late-night shenanigans while doing work, spending time with all my classmates, and the closeness of all the friends I gained. I love the sense of community and the family atmosphere and I will be sad to see it go.

Do you have any advice for incoming students?
You have more time than you think. Yes, there is a good amount of work that you have to do, but if you prioritize having fun and doing spontaneous activities with friends, the work will get done. It is okay to be a late-night crew because it’s only four years so make sure to make all the memories you can.

What’s your favorite spot on campus and why?
I really enjoy the pub because it is a great space to hang out and spend time with other classes. One of my favorite memories of hanging out in the pub was going in and talking to the seniors when they were working on SD and getting sponsored during games. I learned and honed my pool skills while at Webb too.

What has been your greatest challenge?
My greatest challenge is my fear of failure. I often second guess my decisions or base what I do on what has the highest likelihood of success. It hinders me when I choose not to do something because I am scared I might fail, so I will just do what makes me comfortable, even if it is not what might bring about the best future or teach me new things.