Senior Spotlight: Alex Koziol ’21

Hometown: Wallingford, PA

Thesis Title: Metaheuristic Algorithms in Concept Design: Optimization of Marine Electrical Systems

Post Graduate Plans: Staff Naval Architect with Glosten in Providence and New York

Do you have any advice for incoming students?
Spend at least one winter work alone in a new city and make as many friends as you can. Then spend another with a house full of Webbies and enjoy all the free time. Join the dinghy sailing team, even if you don’t know how to sail. Learn to code in your free time so you can do a fun thesis with Professor Martin!

What’s your favorite spot on campus and why?
My favorite spot would have to be the top of the west-side fire escape with the view of the city skyline at night. My second favorite would be the reading room. Sometimes I forget that we live in a gold coast mansion.

What will you miss the most about Webb?
I’ll miss the people the most. I chose to come here mostly because of the small student body, the culture that comes with it, and the ethos of the Honor Code, and I wasn’t disappointed.

Favorite Quote.
Ellen: “Clark, Audrey is frozen from the waist down.”
Clark: “That’s all part of the experience, honey.”

What was your favorite Winter Work internship?
My favorite internship was with Navatek (now Martin Defense Group) in the better Portland (Maine). Portland is beautiful and really easy to get around without a car. The people there were very kind and I really value the friends I made there. There’s also have some excellent beer!