Alumni Spotlight: Matthew P. Tedesco ‘91

Reading the Alumni Spotlights, anyone can see that there are many paths to Webb.  In my case, my father had grown up in Glen Cove and brought Webb to my attention.  I loved sailing on Long Island Sound, had always been passionate about computers, and had a strong interest in math and science.  Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering seemed like a great way to combine my interests in one career. So when it was time for me to apply to college, Webb was at the top of my list.  Spending time on campus clinched the deal.

Webb has been important to me both personally and professionally.  I met my wife Cathy at Webb, and we were married the day after her graduation in 1994.  One of our wedding photos is of her handing an extra copy of her thesis in while wearing her wedding dress — only at Webb!

After graduating in 1991 I went to MIT, facilitated by an Office of Naval Research fellowship.  The informal relationship between Webb and MIT had already been well established by Prof. Henry Marcus (a Webb alum).  I earned master’s in ocean systems management and naval architecture, and eventually finished my Ph.D.  My research led me to the National Shipbuilding Research Program SP-6 Panel, chaired by John Malone who was at National Steel and Shipbuilding Company (NASSCO) at the time.  John wasted no time encouraging Cathy and I to consider careers at NASSCO.

In 1994 I started at NASSCO working for another Webb Graduate, Peter Jaquith, as a manufacturing engineer.  From there I moved into engineering where I worked as a supervisor in both deck outfitting and structural, and as a project engineer.  During this time, I worked on a wide variety of new construction programs and I was surrounded by Webb graduates.  Jay Carson, our Owen Award winner for 2012, was a mentor for me and many others at NASSCO.

When the Arsenal Ship Program was cancelled in 1997, it provided the opportunity to return to MIT to conclude my Ph.D.  Cathy went to MIT herself in 1999 to pursue a master’s in management as well as ocean systems management through the Leaders for Manufacturing program.  During this time I continued to support NASSCO on the T-AKE Program.  After Cathy’s graduation, she took a position with Boeing, I started on my own as an independent consultant, and we moved to Seattle where we have been ever since.

As a consultant, I have participated in a wide range of projects including research and development and support to shipbuilders on new programs.  I have been involved in several projects supported by both the NSRP and the Center for Commercial Deployment of Transportation Technologies (CCDOTT) exploring the feasibility of America’s Marine Highway Services.  My work related to AMH focuses on modeling, simulation, and economic analysis of AMH services.

This year I was named a Fellow of SNAME.  I am a member of the SNAME MT Journal Editorial Board where I work with many Webb graduates.  I am also the Pacific Vice-Chair for SNAME Panel O-36 (Maritime Economics).  Webb and the Webb family are very important to me, and I find it rewarding to volunteer as part of the Webb Alumni Association executive committee where I am currently the Alumni Association president.