Senior Spotlight: Isa Hill ’20

Hometown: Frederick, MD

Thesis Title: An Environmental and Feasibility Analysis of a Dual-Fuel System for a High-Speed Diesel Engine on a Fishing Vessel

Post Graduate Plans: Naval Architect at NASSCO in San Diego, CA

What activities were you involved with at Webb?
I have been involved in Women’s Tennis and Women’s Basketball since the teams were started, and I had the opportunity to be Co-Captain of both during my last season. I have also been involved in student leadership as SO President, part of the Education Committee, and planning various events.

What was your favorite Winter Work internship?
My favorite internship was going out to sea with Maran Gas during my Sophomore year. Seeing a ship in operation, working with the operators, and witnessing the creativity needed to solve problems while underway has given me a much broader perspective on the industry and engineering as a whole than I could have otherwise gotten.

What will you miss the most about Webb?
I can easily say that the thing I will miss most is the people, especially my classmates. I have made so many great friends and I have four years of great memories of them. It will be tough to adjust to life when I don’t see them every day, but I know we will remain friends for years to come.

Who was your favorite mentor at Webb and why?
My favorite mentor was Peggy Michel. I spent a lot of time working on the garden and baking with her during my freshman and sophomore year, and she passed on a lot of wisdom. She taught me practical skills like gardening while showing me the importance of making those around you feel welcome, supported, and at home. Peggy remains one of the kindest, most sincere people that I have ever met and I am grateful that I knew her for the time that I did.

Do you have any advice for incoming students?
From your first day at Webb, be grateful for the opportunities you have here and look for ways to contribute and “make your mark”. Find your way to contribute and leave Webb a better place than you found it, but never forget how special this experience is. It is okay to recognize that something is great, and still push to make it greater!